LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Block 50/52

Last post 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM by KenV. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-28-2005, 11:05 AM 2818

Block 50/52

I just wanted some information on the new Block 50/52.  I saw a picture of it in a magazine and it looked very different from all of the other production types.  I was wondering about avionics upgrades, engine upgrades etc...  I was also wondering about changes to the airframe because that's what made it look different from the other types.
  •  03-11-2005, 11:07 AM 2831 in reply to 2818

Re: Block 50/52

It looks different because the pictures you've seen include the conformal fuel tanks.  These are large blisters along the fuselage above the wing intended to increase internal fuel volume.  The base of the vertical fin also has a large blister which houses new avionics, and most aircraft in the sries have the new "big mouth" inlet.  All these items make the aircraft "look" different, but the actual planform, configuration, and primary structure have not changed all that much.

The blisters add a lot of drag, but the new -29 engines (29,000 lbs thrust, either GE or P&W) more than make up for it.  The block 60 version (now called F-16E/F) has a 32,500 lb thrust GE engine.  The -29 engines can have either the "big mouth" inlet or the conventional inlet, but most customers have opted for the big mouth.  The -32 requires the big mouth.

As for avionics, block 50/52 avionics are much upgraded relative to the block 40.  A big plus of the system is a helmet mounted cueing system which allows sensors and weapons to "look" where ever the pilot is looking, and permits high off-bore-sight missile engagements.  (this latter item requires the new AIM-9X, IRIS-T, or Python 5 missile.)

The F-16E/F (formerly block 60) includes an AESA (active electronically scanned array) radar as well as the previously mentioned -32 engine and other avionics upgrades.  The AESA radar is a HUGE improvement for both air to air and air to ground missions.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us